Friday, March 11, 2011

The second project that I began to work on, where tumblers. Since I had already made cups before, it was easy to make tumblers. To make these tumblers, I used b-mix clay. When making them, we had a paper template already cut out. so we just had to trace it over the clay. That made things more easy, because that way I didn't have to measure things and make sure that they were the right height. The technique that I used for this project was wax resist. It is where you add wax to the cup, before it is bone dry, then you let it sit for 24hrs, then you use a sponge and rub it on the cup. This makes the part where you put the wax on come up and that way you can see the pattern. The pattern used on my cup was lines going vertically, then horizontally, this created squares. In between the squares, I made more squares. The type of glaze that I used for this project was Ice Blue Celadon.
The most challenging part of this project, was figureing out what technique I wanted to use, since I wanted to test some of them out. Another challenging part was that I did not know what pattern I wanted to do for my cups. But Lisa showed me some patterns on a post card and I fugured it out. Lastly, another challenging part of this project was trying to make the lines on my tumblers be even. that did not happen. But I am ok with that.
There was not much that I disliked about doing this project.
The thing that I learned from this project, is that when makin a desighn it doesn't always have to look perfect, somtimes its ok for it to not look super perfect. Because the only way it is going to look perfect, is if it is manufactured.
The thing that I liked about this project, is how that the tumblers are tall, and they are not small. And I like the glaze that was put on it. It reminds me of the glass blue coca-cola cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment