Friday, March 11, 2011

This is one of my recent projects that I am working on, it is a pitcher with eight cups. The cups are about five in. tall. and the pitchre is about two times as tall as that. I am modeling my project after Lynda Ladwig, who made the same thing.
Each cup has its own design. Before the cups are fired, I had to let them dry, to almost bone dry. Then I added this white underglaze, that dries fast. Then after the white underglaze dried, I added black cone five glaze, that Lynda Ladwig uses. Then after that it gets fired. When it came out, I put Ice Blue Celadon on it. Then it got fired again. The thing that took me the longest to make, was the pitcher, the reason why, is  because I took too long to add the handle and the spout. I dont know why I did not work on it. So the pitcher began to dry before I attached the spout and handle, that I kept on having to make it soft then it would get a little too dry. so finally one day I just attached it. So I left it out to dry. To make it dry faster Lisa placed it in the killn. But some how it ended up getting fired before I could put the white and black underglaze on it. So in the pic you can see that my pitchre is not finished. It still needs to get fired that way I can put the glaze on it. I hope it doesn't break or crack. In the pic, I am missing two cups, one of them has not gotten fired yet, it is waiting, and the other one is somewhere lost, but I know it will turn up somewhere! After my cups and pitcher get fired I will add glaze to them, then they will get fired again, then I will be done with my set!
The most challenging part of making this set, was making the pitcher, because I had to figure out how big I had to make it so that it could serve eight cups. Also attaching the spout and handdle, because I took too long to do it.
The best part of making this project, was adding the black glaze, I like it, because it is something different, and it is not just plain glaze, like all my past project cups. Another part that I liked about making this project was how the black underglaze kinda bleed on some of the cups, I think that looks nice!
When my  project is done I will post a pic so you can see how it turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment